Premium Diesel Benefits
The benefits of using HVO synthetic diesel fuel are considerable when the current problems with standard fossil white diesel are considered and emissions and air pollution reduction are taken into account.
Join us as we explore the background and current types of diesel fuel UK.
Mineral diesel is made from the fractional distillation of crude oil with the variabilities that come with using a natural product, high smoke/soot/particulates, sulphur, and aromatics.
There is a further problem in recent years; the inclusion of 7% FAME biodiesel which is a well-meant attempt to ‘green’ the fuel that has resulted in hundreds of blocked fuel filters and DPF problems.
Are The Premium Standard Diesels Actually Better?
In our view, no, they are not, (except perhaps Esso Supreme which has 25% HVO content). Among the types of diesel fuel UK available there are ‘premium’ versions of standard white diesel with increased detergents and a slightly higher cetane number.
These fuels generally still have the FAME biodiesel problems, so these are really of only limited genuine benefits and include the same green house gas emissions as lower cost EN590 DERV.
Real Premium Diesel Benefits With HVO
Starting over – rather than additives with standard diesel – is the way to really access real premium diesel benefits and there is no fuel that better illustrates this than hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO).
This is a synthetic low emissions diesel fuel of high purity built from the ground up as a very clean burning, low emissions product with 80% reduction in diesel particulates and reduced NOx emissions.
Made entirely from waste wood, cooking oils, or fats, HVO is far better for engines and yields a net green house gas emissions cut of upto 90%.
HVO renewable diesel is very practical as it can be mixed with standard diesel but is head and shoulders above it for the following real premium diesel benefits:
- Superior clean combustion and high cetane number of 70.
- Easy cold start and cold flow characteristics.
- Ultra smooth power delivery with less AdBlue useage.
- Cuts particulate matter air pollution by between 40 and 80%.
- Just fuel up and go, useable in any vehicle, especially if has XTL on fuel flap.
- Can be mixed easily and used with normal fossil diesel.
- Stability in long term storage – for upto 10 years, complies with EN15940 specification.
- Not having oxygen in it means it does not grow algae in tanks.
- Lack of aromatics and sulphur (HVO has a lubricity additive).
There is no need to change storage tanks or vehicles with this premium diesel that is better for your engine and for the environment; it really is the circular economy in action! See more on the mtu video below: